Sunday, January 07, 2007

OpenVZ, another player in virtualization space

I was searching for a better server based virtualization software after playing with many a industry players. All worked well, I thought, until I used OpenVZ. I was blown away and my trusty notebook too. We have to test many a grid based technology before we deploy them out. Testing on a Grid is hard to do because, Others use it, part of it is in production, and various other reasons.
Now I can replicate the services I need on our grid, to my notebook, (It a Dual core with 2GB memory and 160GB mirrored raid note book!) and test all core based testing before I even present them to the team.
How do I do them? Virtual Private Servers, kindly provided by OpenVZ. Without going any further telling how I see OpenVZ, here is what OpenVZ.org has to say;

What is OpenVZ?
OpenVZ is an Operating System-level server virtualization solution, built on Linux. OpenVZ creates isolated, secure virtual environments — VEs (otherwise known as virtual private servers, or VPSs) on a single physical server enabling better server utilization and ensuring that applications do not conflict. Each VE performs and executes exactly like a stand-alone server; VEs can be rebooted independently and have root access, users, IP addresses, memory, processes, files, applications, system libraries and configuration files. See Documentation » Technology for more information.

If you want to read about it more you can follow the wikipedia link given below. You also can read in other languages like, German, French, Russian, and Spanish.

OpenVZ is the basis of the Virtuozzo™ — a commercial virtualization solution offered by SWsoft.
So if you need commercial support and backing, it is there through Virtuozzo. I have provided links below.

Links;
OpenVZ.Org web Portal
Virtuozzo
Wikipedia link (For other languages, add appropriate prefix, de, fr etc)

1 comment:

MCU Programmer said...

OpenVZ is a very interesting Virtualization. I just stated studying grid, looking for informations about grid.